Starting a new school!(+a mini life update)

So, I just realised that I haven't posted since April! Therefore, I think a mini life update is necessary: I sat my GCSE's and achieved 4 As, 4 Bs and a C! I had prom and a ridiculously long summer. Now, I have moved to a different school where I am doing my A levels which are English literature, psychology, sociology and chemistry.

The reason I am writing this post is because I would like to talk about how moving to my new school has affected me and my autism, in particular. In general, it has been very good for my health because I'm no longer in the horrible place which is my old school however the transition was very difficult...

Despite hating my old school, I had just started to get used to it and then I moved to my new school where the environment is very different(a lot more friendly and the people are much more approachable) which was hard for me to understand as I had to learn to find my way around and get used to all of the new aspects. Also, the building at my new school is very bright and colourful which compared to my old school, is a big change and this messed with my sensory issues slightly and caused me to feel sick and scared because of this large environmental change.

The people at my new school are lovely however I'm still really struggling to talk to them. Communication has never been a talent of mine and I'm still worried that people think that I'm being rude but honestly, I just can't process the words to be able to talk to them and I want to make friends so this is really hard. Although, I have managed to find a nice little group of friends which is great, I would like to be able to talk to more people although I get incredibly panicky. In fact, I've missed quite a few lessons because my anxiety has been so bad and I just haven't been able to cope.

Also, I have gone from a 20 minute walk to school to having to be on a bus for an hour to get there which means two hours on a bus each day which is really difficult for me. The buses are really loud and I get anxious if I miss them or if I have to wait around for them. Also, the buses usually have a lot of litter from the younger years and strong smelling foods which makes me feel really sick and unwell.

Going from GCSE's to A Levels has been a big shock to my mind and body but moving school was definitely the right decision for me. I'm now learning things about myself and other aspects of the world that I would never have been able to do at my old school and despite feeling worried and my sensory issues making me have shut downs etc, I know that this was the right choice to me.

I think that the message of this post is that you shouldn't be afraid to do something that you think will benefit you and you shouldn't let anyone get in the way of you reaching your well deserved happiness. Many people judged me for my decision but I've decided not to listen because I know it'll be beneficial for me in the long run.

Just do what's best for you.

Thank you very much for reading and remember, if you have any requests or questions to email me on laurynmathews2@gmail.com. ALSO, I now have an art page to promote my art work if anyone is interested in having a look: https://www.facebook.com/LaurynDoesArt/

No comments